The Family Drug / Dependency Treatment Court (FDTC) works with parent(s) / guardian(s) who are in danger of losing custody of their children due to abuse or neglect charges. The courts help ensure compliance with the Adoption and Safe Families Act. (Young, Wong, Adkins, & Simpson, 2003)
To be eligible to participate in the Family Drug Treatment Court component of any local program, an individual must:
- Be under the jurisdiction of the district court pursuant to Chapter 7B of the General Statutes;
- Be either
- Diagnosed as chemically dependent under the Substance Abuse Subtle Screening Inventory, or
- Diagnosed as borderline chemically dependent under that Inventory and present documented collateral in the drug treatment court component; and
- Agree to participate in the family drug treatment court component; and
- Meet all other reasonable eligibility requirements established by the local program.