Request a Public Record

Submit a request depending on the type of record. Options may include online, by mail, or in person.

Obtaining Court RecordsView the Obtaining Court Records Help Topic, including the following:

  • Criminal cases
  • Civil, special proceeding, or estates cases
  • Divorce judgments
  • Birth, marriage, divorce, or death certificates
  • Marriage license
  • Police reports
  • Real estate records or deeds

Background Check, Employment Check, or Rental CheckView the Criminal Background Check Help Topic.

County or City DocumentsPlease contact the county or city office from which you are seeking information. Powers of AttorneyPower of attorney records are kept by the Register of Deeds. You can find contact information for your Register of Deeds office.

Prisoner RecordsInformation on persons who have been or currently are incarcerated in the N.C. prison system is available through the N.C. Department of Public Safety offender search. This includes state prison inmates, probationers, and parolees.

Wills and EstatesView the Wills and Estates Help Topic.

Other Public Records Requests

Public Records Request Form Please complete this form to request a copy of an existing public record. Please note, state agencies and employees are not required to create or compile a public record that does not exist. G.S. 132-6.2. For more information, view: