Length of Service
Jurors are summoned for a one week term of court and will serve until released by the judge.
When and Where to Report
Each juror receives a jury summons. Instructions on when and where to report appear on the back of your summons. Please follow these instructions.
Request for Jury Service Excuse or Deferral
Deferral/Excusal: To request an excuse or postponement from jury service, please submit the information via Electronic Form located below, Mail, OR Fax. Your request must be received no later than seven (7) days prior to your service date. A decision regarding your request will be returned via mail or email. Requests sent by MAIL or FAX must include the completed bottom portion of summons and supporting documentation (instructions are included on the summons document). Mail or fax requests can be submitted to:
Christy E. Wilhelm
Chief District Court Judge
PO Box 70
Concord, NC 28026
Fax: (704) 262-5523
The ELECTRONIC SUBMISSION FORM (see below) may be completed in lieu of the mail or fax option. The electronic request must be submitted a minimum of seven (7) days prior to your appearance date. (Requirements and instructions are listed below.)
Reasons for Excusal, Postponement or Deferment
Jury service is the solemn obligation of all qualified citizens. Excuses from the discharge of this responsibility may be granted only for reasons of compelling personal hardship. Persons qualified to serve must:
- Reside in Cabarrus County
- Be at least 18 years of age or older
- Understand the English language
- Have not served as a juror during the preceding two (2) years or as a grand juror in the past six (6) years
- Be physically and mentally competent
Exemptions, Excuses and Postponements may be granted for the following reasons:
- People 72 years of age or older
- NOT a Cabarrus County, North Carolina Resident
- Person is deceased
- Students enrolled full time in a learning institution
- Health/Medical reasons
- Convicted of a felony and voting rights have NOT been restored
- Not a United States Citizen
- On assignment with the military
Excuses will be granted ONLY for reasons of compelling personal hardship. Requests for excuses and postponements for jury duty must be made by electronically using the requested online form, or by mail or fax. Your request CANNOT be handled by telephone. All requests must be submitted a minimum of seven (7) days prior to your jury service date.
Until you have received a response from the District Court Judge’s Office, you are still required to appear at the county courthouse for jury duty on the specified summons date if your juror number is called.
- If you do not receive a letter by email indicating the status of your request at least 24 hours prior to your assigned jury date, you must comply with all the instructions indicated on your jury summons.
- It is your responsibility to monitor your mail and email for a CONFIRMATION letter from the Clerk of Superior Court's Office to determine if your request has been approved or denied.
If you DO NOT receive a response to an excusal request, you are still required to appear for jury service if your juror number is called.