NCAOC Public Records Policies and Procedures

Find FAQs about NCAOCs public records policies and procedures.
What will I be charged?

The North Carolina Administrative Office of the Courts (NCAOC) does not charge for the inspection of any public record. In accordance with G.S. 132-6.2, the NCAOC charges a nominal fee of $0.25 per page for any copies of public records. For extraordinary public records requests, the NCAOC may charge, as permitted by G.S. 132-6.2(b), a higher fee if, in the opinion of the NCAOC, the request will require "extensive use of information technology resources or extensive clerical or supervisory assistance by personnel of the agency involved." All persons requesting public records from the NCAOC will be notified of the estimated costs for such request prior to any production efforts beginning.

Are there records you are exempt from disclosing?

View a list of records exempt from production by the Judicial Branch.

How do I request a public record?

The NCAOC requests that all persons requesting public record(s), make such requests in writing. The submission of a written request helps to ensure the accuracy of the response to requests. Requests may be submitted electronically by completing the Public Records Request Form.

If you would prefer to mail your request to the NCAOC, please print the Public Records Request Form and mail the completed document to:

Public Records Request 
PO Box 2448 
Raleigh, NC 27602

How long does it take for me to get my records?

The NCAOC will respond to your request as promptly as possible. The length of time for production of records depends on the complexity of the request.

Can I appeal a denial by the NCAOC?

Yes, if a request or part of a request is denied, you may request the NCAOC reconsider your request. The procedure for appeals is set forth as follows. Additionally, persons alleging that a public record has been unjustly withheld may request a pre-litigation mediation with the NCAOC by completing and filing form AOC-CV-830 with the proper court.

Procedures for Denied or Partially Denied Records Requests

If a written request for access to records is denied, or denied in part, the requestor may appeal the denial by submitting a written description of the request made and the denial reason given in the following manner:

Please note that effective October 1, 2010, any person alleging that they have been wrongfully denied access to a public record from agency governed by the North Carolina public records laws may file a request for voluntary pre-litigation mediation of the matter by filing form AOC-CV-830 with the clerk's office in their local county. (Please note this form cannot be filed electronically and filing fees do apply.)

For questions or more information regarding making a public record request of the North Carolina Administrative Office of the Courts, please email

Who is the custodian of records at the NCAOC?

The NCAOC is not the custodian for all court documents. The proper custodian for any document in a court file is the clerk of court for the county wherein the case was filed. NCAOC is the proper custodian for employment record inquiries for Judicial Branch employees.

For more information, view About North Carolina public records law.

Can the NCAOC certify records?

The NCAOC is unable to certify records. We have no statutory authority to do so. However, case documents may be certified by the clerk for the county where the case is filed. Please note that a fee may be associated, as allowed by G.S. 132-6.2, for the certification of records.