The North Carolina Administrative Office of the Courts (NCAOC) offers online remote access to both criminal and civil information from all 100 North Carolina counties. Individuals can conduct real-time, statewide criminal background checks in the RPA Legacy system (counties that have not integrated into the RPA Cloud) and the RPA Cloud (counties that have migrated to the new system).
The following are examples of just some of the information available in ACIS and VCAP:
- Criminal records (check pending cases, verify prior convictions)
- Tax liens
Real-time access through the NCAOC ensures that the data obtained accurately reflects the data from the clerks' offices. See the following links for additional information.
ONLINE FEE SCHEDULEFollowing is the fee schedule for online access to both criminal and civil information in all 100 North Carolina counties:
- $495.00 - One-time connection fee (non-refundable); includes two user IDs and two admin IDs.
- $70.00 - One-time fee for each additional user ID needed.
- $0.21 - The access fee per transaction. Access fees are billed on a monthly basis based on usage. Each new task, indicated by the pressing of the "Enter" key, the "PA1," "PA2," or "PA3" keys, the function keys "F1" through "F12," or the "Clear" key, is considered a transaction. Most times when a transaction occurs, a new screen appears, but that is not always the case.
Payment for the initial connection fee and any additional user IDs must be in the form of a cashier's check, made out to "N.C. Administrative Office of the Courts."
CONNECTIVITY INFORMATIONOnline licensees can choose one of two options to access the criminal and civil data on the enterprise server:
- SSL-Enabled TN3270 (most used option)
- Business-to-Business Virtual Private Network (VPN)
More information about these options can be found in the Remote Public Access Connectivity Information.
ONLINE BILLING POLICYEvery day, online licensees actively using Remote Public Access are emailed billing account information. On the second of each month (or the next business day following, if the second is on a weekend or a holiday), online licensees that have received the daily emails during the previous month will receive a monthly invoice by email. This invoice provides a summary of the charges for each licensee, by user ID, for the previous month.
All licensees have 30 days to pay their invoices. If an invoice is not paid within 30 days of the original invoice date, an overdue notice is sent, and a $75 late fee is added to the account. All invoices that remain unpaid after 45 days will be issued a final notice. If the account remains unpaid after 60 days, the account will be terminated. To reinstate the terminated account, the licensee must pay any arrearages and the reinstatement fee then in effect.